Sunday, December 14, 2008

Choking Scare

Hi everybody. Buddy here.



I had quite a scare this morning. Let me tell you how it all went down.

As a bulldog, I'm not only stocky and inflexible, I also have some breathing problems. I'm a brachycephalic dog, meaning I have a short muzzle and large lower jaw. This results in small nostrils, an elongated soft palate, and narrow windpipes. It also makes me a loud breather.

So, in addition to not being able to lick myself, I can't endure too much physical activity. I also can't close my eyes all the way when I'm asleep.


I look like I'm awake in that photo, but I'm not. My sister Ariel doesn't have that problem, and she makes fun of me for it. She says that she has superior breeding.

So anyway. I was roughhousing with Ariel this morning after breakfast. Mommy and daddy kept telling us to stop, but we didn't listen. I got so worked up with the play fight that I puked by breakfast all over the floor. I must have choked on a piece of puked-up kibble, because I stoppped breathing. My hind legs went stiff, and I fell over. I was panicking on my back, trying to draw a breath while my legs kicked the air. Daddy ran over and picked me up, and I started breathing again. It was really scary.




Afterwards, both mommy and daddy kept coddling me, which was pretty sweet. I even think Ariel was afraid for me, although she won't admit it.



Maybe I choked because I didn't listen to my parents when they told us to stop roughhousing. So I think I better do what my mommy and daddy tell me to do from now on. At least for a little while.

No comments: